Tuesday 7 April 2015

Lisa's Birth Story

I always love reading a good birth story, I think it's because each birth is different and each person has a different outcome. I think as women we have a special bond because we all have something in common - we birthed a human being!

It's an amazing achievement to give birth and it's something that should be shared and celebrated!

So, with that being said I decided to start a new feature on my blog . A place for Mother's to share their birth stories and offer advice to any Mother preparing for birth!

My first feature is from Lisa, a very good childhood friend of mine who gave birth to her adorable son Lachlan just over a year ago. 

This is her story...

Lisa and Lachlan.


1. When was your due date?

23 March 2014

2. Were you early or overdue?

Overdue by four days.

3. Where did you plan on birthing?

Papakura Maternity Hospital

4. Did you have a birth plan?

Yes, my plan was to have a water birth. I wanted so bad to have a natural, drug free labour and birth. Also, I only wanted my partner to be present at the birth as it is a special time just for us.

5. Did your birth go according to plan?

Definitely not, before being in established labour I had been having contractions off and on for 4 days. So, finally when my contractions were between 3 or so minutes apart I contacted my midwife where we agreed to meet at the maternity hospital. When we got to the birthing unit she checked baby's heartbeat and found that he was in distress, because of the length of time I had been having contractions for, she wasn't comfortable with me birthing there so it was decided I would be transported to Middlemore Hospital by ambulance.

Once at the hospital they decided to induce me because my contractions had stopped again. My midwife recommended I had the epidural as I was exhausted not having any sleep and after four long days of contractions - my body was shattered!  I agreed as I couldn't cope with the pain much longer. At 7am they broke my waters and saw traces of meconium, meaning my baby was in definite distress, however, they were fine with me carrying on to have a natural birth. Once the epidural was administered, after the fifth attempt, it was such a huge relief I even managed to have an hour long nap.

Throughout the day, baby's heartbeat continued to drop and increase which they thought could be due to the cord being wrapped around his neck or arm. By this point I was getting really worried and unable to hold back the tears but my midwife assured me though that everything was fine. By 3pm I was fully dilated and it was finally time to push and with the help of vontouse Lachlan was born at 3.39pm weighing a healthy 8lbs1oz he was covered in Meconium but absolutely perfect in everyway!

6. Did you have/need any medical intervention?

Yes, Epidural and Vontouse.

7. How did you feel after the birth and did it go according to plan?

I was not disappointed at all as my main priority was to ensure my baby was delivered safely. I always knew in the back of my mind that my birth may not go according to my plan so I was prepared if this didn't happen.

8. What are the time 5 items you packed in your hospital bag or wish you had packed?

- Maternity Pads (Lots of them!)
- Comfy clothing
- A nice body wash etc
- Snacks
- Phone Charger! 

9. What is one piece advice you could offer to any Mum preparing for child birth?

Don't put too much pressure on yourself as no two births are the same. Ask for help when you need it and enjoy your baby - they grow so fast!

10. Is there anything you would do differently next time? That is if there is a next time.

Birth wise, I don't think so as this is something you can't control. You just have to go with the flow and not have big expectations of yourself. There will definitely be a next time for me - fingers crossed!



A big thank you to Lisa for being my first feature, I loved reading your story!

If you would like your story to be featured on the blog you can contact me at akiwimumma@gmail.com.

No comments: