Monday 27 July 2015

LIFE UPDATE - Our exciting news?



No, I am not pregnant..before you ask!

You may have read in my last update that I have exciting news.

Well, today is the day I share it. It's probably not hugely exciting news for you but it is for us. It's exciting, scary, life-changing, nerve-wracking and insomnia inducing news.

As some of you may or may not know my Husband is a pilot. He's been training and hour accumulating ever since we first met, that's coming up 7 years (in December) of dedicated hard work. Finally, it's paying off. 

He's just got the call that will change his career and our lives for good. Up until now he's been teaching other people how to fly and training them through their flying licences.

Now though, he's landed his dream job as a commercial airline Pilot for New Zealand's leading airline, flying domestically. As you will know Pilot's move around... like a lot, they get based where they want you and we are definitely no exception.

We are currently based in a beautiful, rural town north of Auckland, New Zealand. Now though, with this exciting new career opportunity we are being moved to Christchurch on the South Island!

This is huge for me. I have never lived out of Auckland. I know, "what's the big deal?" you may ask "it's not like you're moving countries", but with both our families around us where we are now, including Ella's Grandparent's, it's going to be a huge adjustment not having family support so close by.

On the brighter side though, it is exciting, it's a big change and a new adventure. We are also hoping - with house prices down there being a lot more affordable then the extortionate prices of Auckland currently - we might be able to get onto the property ladder for the very first time! And the added bonus? Christchurch is a very beautiful part of the Country!

So, what's the plan?

Tom starts training on the 24th of August in Christchurch, followed by a further month of training back in Auckland. After that he's making the move to Christchurch. Ella and I are staying in Auckland and we will be following Tom down in late February/ early March.

Why, you may ask, are Ella and I not moving the same time as Tom does?

Basically, I haven't gotten my head wrapped around the whole idea of moving. We need to work out the logistics of this whole thing, for example, where we are going to live? are we going to rent or can we buy?

Also, there is a lot going on back here that makes me want to stay until the new year. Such as Ella's first birthday - rapidly approaching - this year, my brother-in-law and his fiance are getting married in February of next year and I am her Maid of Honour plus a lot of the family are coming from England for the wedding - all of whom Ella has never met before including her great-grandparents.

It just makes more sense. Tom will be incredibly busy during training and when he officially starts work he will be all over the place learning to fly different routes so he won't actually be around all that much. 

When he's completed his training and officially starts work we will have more of an idea as to what his rostered hours will be. From there he will fly back on his days off or Ella and I will fly down. After all we will need to have a good look around as to which areas we would like to live - or can afford to live - and to consider what options we have when it comes to buying or renting a house.

So, that's our news. I hope to continue blogging regularly but as I am going to pretty much on my own I may be pressed for time trying to look after Ella and keep my house in relative cleanliness and order - I can but try!

I will be posting more life updates in the near future so keep an eye out if you are interested in following us on this exciting new journey. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - where I post regularly. 

Thanks for reading!




 


No comments: